Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Diptych Response

Without a doubt, I had a lot of difficulty with this project. I didn't exactly know where to start because I was very stuck on other people's examples and ideas. It also took me some time to get into the 'dialogue' between the two. I googled a bit and looked at flickr's diptych pool, which helped. The problem with me is, the project would have been easier/aesthetically pleasing if I were matching photographs together. The most difficult part for me was to create things, and not exactly know how it would turn out. I think my favourite one out of the pack is the one of the kayaks and colour pencils. This isn't because it matched up well, but because the colour pencils did not come out as expected. I moved them around and I really liked the outcome. It wasn't something that I had planned or thought extensively about, which was the case for the others.

I am very interested in making diptychs, or triptychs. I think it's fun to be able to find relationships with other photographs, it is definitely something that I would look into in the future. For this project, however, the problem as mentioned earlier, was the ability to create the picture from scratch. Not having it there for me to see, but having to picture it in my head. The examples I saw on flickr were also all of photographs, so although it gave me more of an idea of what I could do, the hard part still went back to the creation of the scanogram.

No comments: