Friday, September 5, 2008

What makes a good photograph?

Obviously, it's subjective and personal, pretty much like everything else about art. I like vibrancy, colour, motion, portraits/people, city landscapes more than I would enjoy natural landscapes. This is partly due to the fact that I grew up in a city. I always found landscape photography less exciting, but I'm sure other people would disagree. But what I know is that I like seeing life in photographs. I like to see it happening.

I really enjoy amateur photographers and experimental photography, i.e. lomography. These photographs are courtesy of boat_toa on lomography.com.



A good photograph to me is personal. I like vibrant colours, but I also like washed out photographs. One extreme or the other. I think growing up in a city has pretty much dictated what I enjoy. When I was a teenager, I really loved concert photography. It represented some sort of livelihood for me because if the music moved me, then the photographs that captured the musicians would move me too. As I grew older, this vibrancy translated into other things, mostly people and cities. But my appreciation for natural landscapes is also growing. Probably because I am in that environment, and understanding that environment more only makes me love it more. That said, a good photograph is influence, inspiration and life to me.

No comments: