Tuesday, October 28, 2008

The Unseen Gulf War - Peter Turnley

Turnley proposes a way in which war photography should be approached, on the eve of the new gulf war. He notes that it is capturing "the realities of war" that is essential. As I scrolled through his work, though I found it moving, I did not find it different from any other documented photographs on wars that were either published in books, but mostly on media sites. I think it's interesting to note the similarities I found with pictures published on cnn.com and Time magazine, and the pictures on Turnley's site. Though, it is important to note that he does raise important points in experiencing a sort of empathy (obviously, I don't think one can really experience complete empathy in a situation like this) when looking at war photographs, to know that it is not necessarily about patriotism and courage (though it is that too).

The one thing I thought was interesting was when he stated 'war is a necessary evil.' He repeatedly notes and talks about how he captures the 'evil' part, but never the necessity factor. I am confused by the (somewhat) contradictions with this statement and his photographs.

Furthermore, the timing is also important to note. Obviously, he has strong feelings, writing this letter on the brink of another war. This is the time when people and media might think that war is "convenient". Yet, I don't think that the same sentiments hold true 5 years later, with the knowledge and media that we hold now, and I think that would be a fascinating juxtaposition.

No comments: